London Wall West
The Barbican Quarter Action group, supported by the Barbican Association, launched the London Start Here Campaign in June 2022 to oppose the City of London Corporation's London Wall West plans for the current site of the Museum of London.
On this page:
Article for the EC1 Echo August/September 2022 edition
Embed of video report from Court of Common Council July 21 2022
Embed of a Wakelet collection of tweets and links from the first week of the campaign. Click into the display and scroll to see items.
Email from campaign organiser Peter Jenkinson prior to the opening meeting July 6, plus links to key initiatives.
Questions at Court of Common Council
The Court is the overall decision-making body for the City Corporation, while Policy and Resources Committee is where many strategic decisions are taken.
Campaigners against the London Wall West development have argued that when plans for the Centre for Music were abandoned, a range of other options should have been considered by the Court.
Following questions by Ann Holmes and other councillors, Chris Hayward, chair of Policy and Resources, confirmed decisions were taken by P&R not the full court, and that no other cultural use had been considered beyond the Centre for Music.
He rejected calls for the Court to consider options, and said a planning application for the current scheme would be made in late autumn 2022. He agreed with Mark Bostock that a cultural strategy was needed for the whole area, but said this should not hold up decisions on London Wall West.